Jamaica Health Tips Online - Protecting the Environment, Protecting your Health
RSS

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Sleep Paralysis; the spirit in your dreams
Five biggest mistakes we make when trying to lose weight
Hand foot and mouth disease; should you be worried?
Indoor air pollution; the unexpected killer
Nutraceutical; the hidden truth to a perfect health.

Categories

October 2010
September 2010
August 2010

powered by

Jamaica Health Tips Blog

Working-Out at Home or Gym Membership

Which is better for Jamaicans, to spend the money for a gym membership or just do a workout at home? Then let's take a look as there are some pros and cons for each.

Benefits of Gym Membership

Now for Jamaicans there are quite a few reasons why a gym membership can have its benefits. First it’s a great way to hang out with friends and family members, and having a gym partner is a great way to stay motivated. It is also s great way to get out of the house especially for persons who work from home.
Gyms also offer a variety of classes such as Karate, YOGA and other exercises. At the gym one can also receive personal training and advice on what to do so you can be more effective.

Gym Membership cons

One of the few bad things about the gym when compared to home workout is that the gym will cost you money. For most gyms in Jamaica this is usually a monthly fee, however more gym are having special discounts which allow persons to sign up for a longer membership.

Which do you prefer? Working out at the Gym or working out at home?

82 Comments to Working-Out at Home or Gym Membership :

Comments RSS
Natoya on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:23 AM
Honestly I prefer to work out at home because it doesnt cost a dime..hence it appears to be better working out at the gym because there is someone there to drive you...when at home you seem to be in the comfort zone and stop when you feel like and then resume again then stop..smh NO NO!!that won't work.lol but nevertheless I'm doing it at home..i just need confidence and determination. THAT WILL HELP..:)

Shanna-lee on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:58 AM
I preffer to work out at the gym, i think its better because u get the drive there from the trainer and you know you spent your money so u have to put in the effort to get the results, plus there's alot more machines there to work out than home so u get alot more areas worked on.

Richard on Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:19 PM
I agree :-)

PHackett-Johnson on Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:52 AM
I prefer working out at home. There is absolutely no cost and I can do it at my own leisure. Rather than going to the gym to do straneous excerises and all I can simply play a workout video and go along with it or use the convenience of working out otherwise. I can do brisk walking, swimming etc whenever I want to.

c.chambers on Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:58 AM
I person think one should do as they please, it is a great way to meet new friends and to interact better as well and on the other hand being at home helps to save money so it works either way.

Tracey Ann A on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:42 AM
Working out at home is way more fun and it's free !

Suzan M on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:42 AM
Neither! Climbing the 48 steps at work on a daily basis is enough for me!

S Lee on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:46 AM
I agree with you girl..i just took the walk a few minutes ago and i had to stop to rest.

khunter on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:46 AM
dwl, suzan, that as well is true!!

D Grant- Anderson on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:53 AM
Unu too lazy DWL!!

A.Parchment on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:54 AM
Lol! Mi a tell yu. So true.

r.kerr on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:55 AM
cuz yall have reason lol

petagay on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:04 PM
yes that so true lol

Chris-Ann C on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:42 AM
I personally think having a gym membership is way better yes you are goingg to spend but when you are home u wont have any discipline and u do watever,being in the gym its a MUST that you work out cause you dont want your money to waste huh? Quite so

Khunter on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:43 AM
I prefer to work out at home. um, i get too much attention working out at the gym and i dont like the public attention, i know my body looks awesome!!! did i say my body looks awesome? yes i did but i really need to stay focused, so home works better for me...lol!!!

Graham. O on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:51 AM
Huh? Really? Really? are u serious? nahhh

Stern. V on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:52 AM
Hmm, Wil answer via PM.

petagay on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:00 PM
lol dat you seh think you should do the gym and get some of them other members distracted

Michka K on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:43 AM
I think that having a gym membership is better than working out from home. At the gym it is easier to stay focused on the work out plan. Being at home has many distractions. Also you have the option of having a personal trainer so you can get direct feedback and one on one attention.

A. Parchment on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:52 AM
You're right Michka. I totally agree. But I am still too lazy to go to the gym. Maybe one day.

D Grant-Anderson on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:56 AM
Si mi jus a talk bout lazy people.

r.kerr on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:57 AM
one on one hmmm i wonder if its for the training or the ONE ON ONE!!!! LOL

S lee on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:43 AM
I personally prefer working out at the gym. If i stay at home and want to work out am just gonna end up sleeping, watching tv or eating.

Chris-Ann C on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:47 AM
I definately agree with the EATING part!!!!!! lolz

Kerz on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:50 AM
Nah man Chis Ann... u tooo nuff now!!!!

K-Cooper on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:51 AM
I prefer working out at home, its more fun and really exciting!!!!!! :-)

S lee on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:59 AM
chris ann we know that ur secret is eating...but a nuh all a we cut out fi eat and look slim and trim

Jaimie S on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:44 AM
I think that some persons needs a instructor, as they are not disciplined enough to keep at it or don't have the know how to target specific muscles during workout. on the other hand I wouldn't go to the gym to work out " my total gym at home works for me $$$$$ :)

Nicola S on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:52 AM
Having gym equipments at home doesnt mean you will use it for it intended use. I have a AB King Pro and I sleep in it, watch TV and other stuff; I hardly use it to workout.

J.Cranston on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:44 AM
I would prefer the gym as it offers a variety of equipment to target different areas. In addition, a professional is on hand to help as we often excerise without doing it properly and end up hurting ourselves. The gym also provides a level of discipline that we may lack when working out on our own.

Nicola S on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:45 AM
Working out from the Gym is a better option for me because working from home I realise that I am not discipline enough to stick the programs. However, being at the Gym, you have individuals and friends their to ensure you follow through the program and guide you where needed. Also it become more interesting and fun when you are with friends.

T.R on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:53 AM
I totally agree

André H. on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:46 AM
I actually subscribe the benefits of a gym since you have to pay most times and as such you do not wish to have that membership fee wasted. Also the benefits of the gym trainers expertise will benefit you as they are trained to push you to the best pace for you so you end up doing just the right amount of work compared to if you leave it on your own where you run the risk of doing too little or too much. The benefits above truly apply however to a person that doesn't have the discipline or support system at home to keep them motivated and we all know the pocket is a very good motivator for most.

khunter on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:49 AM
seriousli andre H?

K-Cooper on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:52 AM
Paragragh my yute seriously??????????????????????????

Sten. V on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:47 AM
From experience working out from home although being convenint is not truly effective. Their cannot be however a clear cut Choice of Home or Gym Workouts. Excercise is very individualistic, the push i get from friends while i'm at the gym cannot be replecated while at home.

T.R on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:01 PM
the last time you did spelling how much did you get?

S.M on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:02 PM
Wow! Mr. Stern thanks for the tips. I gained a few pounds with your words(replecated,Their, convenint)

Stern. V on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:58 PM
The interest being placed on spelling errores proves my point. At the Gym you are focused and have a clear cut goal. At home anything will go. In life be careful being a critique as once you have done this extreme shortcomings that are obvious will be highlighted.

khunter on Friday, October 21, 2011 2:26 PM
ok vaughan, that's a great point, but u still can't spell at all!!

SWalker on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:47 AM
Even though you save money by staying at home the motivation, drive and determination to exercise is not always there. You need persons around to encourage and build the motivation. Exercise can be challenging for some persons and having a trainer or 'gym-mates' can make it fun and less daunting. I'm all hands on deck for gym membershhip!

Latoya J. on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:48 AM
I prefer to work out at home because it is inexpensive and allows me to work at my own pace. I can also go for a walk outside instead of using a treadmill at the gym and this gives me the opportunity to get fresh air and observe nature at the same time. Home excercise is just more convenient for me because I am in my own personal space and I burn calories while doing house and yard chores just the same. I am determine and motivated if I want to loose weight so I dont need anyone to drive me.

D. Grant Anderson on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:48 AM
I agree with Shanna-Lee you have to be absolutely disciplined to work out from home. I have tried it and trust me as much as I love being healthy and taking care of my body I make every excuse in the world not to do it. "I am sooo tired, I will do it later, its too early in the morning, the rain fell" and on and on I go. When I sign up for the gym you pay your hard earned money so you wont let it go to waste. You have a program that you have to stick to, and if you have a trainer that person holds you accountable (if he/she is a good trainer) so yu kinda fraid lol. So pay your money!!!!

A. Parchment on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:48 AM
I prefer working out at home, mainly because I can't be bothered to go to a gym. But, a gym may be beneficial for those who are really into working out and being fit. Reason being, at the gym they will encounter individuals who are like minded and hence they may gather support or a drive for what they are doing. Which is good, exercising is always good. Especially for women who want to look trim and sexy in their outfits. Also, for women, exercising at a gym may help you with your agility and balance when wearing heels. Heels are great and look really nice on a woman that is fit. If you're interested in heels like I am, visit my website http://www.enziacollections.com for really great shoes today! Exercising is just one of the ways to look good ;)

S lee on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:51 AM
mi rate u my girl..big up u website mi fren raaayyy

S lee on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:53 AM
If the gym ting nuh work slim fassst me say str888

S. Thomas on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:48 AM
Working out at home though is probably better esp if you are self conscious. What you could do is sign up for a month at a gym and kick start your work out program that way and then continue at home on your own. You can always go for a walk, rake the yard, play with your children and so on and so forth... Gyms are an over rated way to waste money, anyhow. Who needs 'em?

R.Kerr on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:49 AM
Yardddddd to my thing!!!! no GYM round here... ive done both Jane(my version of the GYM) and also at home. it works out better at home when you know what youre working to achieve and also if you have the right programme with you. e.g. P90X is a programme that puts you in a Jane environment and all you use are two dumbells and the results are much better than almost any Jane(GYM) experience(check out www.p90x.com for the great reviews) and also ive done the Jane(gym) and its much easier to be distracted there with all the different activities and people around you. I believe if its a focused attempt do it at home and if needs be have the trainer there with you if its anything else go to the Jane(GYM). Always remember your body is the best weight to use.

André H. on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:54 AM
An XBox 360 with connect control is just as good too lol

Shakerah on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:55 AM
JANE? Very original, Ryan. Didnt see that one coming!

T.R on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:57 AM
You didnt go to work out,you went to look out for women!!!!!!!

D Grant_Anderson on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:58 AM
Hmmm no results yet awh Ryan. Hush

KERR. RY on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:00 PM
D-G-A wait till a show u what 500 situps a day did for me....BEACH TRIP!

Graham. O on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:49 AM
Working out at home [thinking] nahhhhhhh. Doesnt work. Sure u can get results but not great results. Working out at home is good to keep in shape, but to build muscle and blast fat the Gym is the place to be. Reason gym will help you stay motivated and trainers are available to assist in making you reach your goal. Compared to working out at home. U will be demotivated easily especially with some much distractions. I tired and i quit in a week. lol

Latoya J on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:53 AM
Thats because your were not dedicated Omardo!

samantha ricketts on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:51 AM
I prefer to work out at home. it is more inexpensive and I can do it at my own leisure. My stlye of keeping fit is quite different. Am not mototivate to do any 1,2,3 routine, I want to jiggle-up-ma-body and shake what i have to the lastest dancehall songs. I can also play football and other sporting activities at my community play field, which is much more fun.

André H on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:58 AM
That's if you're not totally nucordinated when it comes to sporting activities

T.R on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:51 AM
Working out at the gym is better even though it might be a bit cost effective,you will be motivated by other people that are working out rather than being at home and is wondering 'should i work on today".Whenever you use the gym you must follow instructions from your instructor without stopping every time to attend to something else.

Zelia J. on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:52 AM
Working out at home doesnt cost me a dime and I can do it at my own pace and time.

K-Cooper on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:54 AM
tru thing

K. Green on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:54 AM
To each his own, if you are a disciplined person, working out at home would be more benefical to you because you won't need to pay for a gym membership. Not everyone wants to meet new friends and staying home all the time will definitely take care of that! There are many forms of excercise one can do at home or outside of being in a gym so why limit yourself to going to a gym? If you're looking to be motivated by that hot, sexy gym instructor choosing the right excercise dvd will fix that!

A Paisley on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:55 AM
I have experience with both and it depends on the personal goals of the individual. If a person just wants to keep fit, then day-to-day exercise at home is ok. However, if the individual wants to look like a hulk, or just to get toned, then gyming is the perfect way to go.

petagay on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:56 AM
For me personally i dont do either what the use am not fat not overweight why do i need to excerise? well if your gonna say it keep you fit well am fit as a fiddle plus by boyfriend help me out where that is concern.

ricorvl on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:57 AM
The Gym from my point of view isn't ideal for the average Jamaican, our culture is one which focuses on the negatives of others, and for persons who are sensitive about there body the wrong comment can lead to more harm than good. Stay home set realistic golds; short term, long term. Use your family and friends to motivate you and be proud of even the smallest Accomplishments.

Chris-Ann C on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:58 AM
I have a SECRET!!! EAT NUFF!!!! imean look at me and i do nun!!! DWL!!!

K-Cooper on Friday, October 21, 2011 11:58 AM
But hoenestly speaking...... NO Need for the GYM!!!!

ThianM on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:00 PM
It matters not to me! Pay for a gym membership in order for someone to eventually tell you that your metabolism will allow you to lose so much and no more is a waste of time. I think it is more sensable to live a more active life where people make time to "play"...if you no what I mean. All you need to do is to eat some more yam and banana! Substitute some of the processed stuff for something more organic! There is no need for the gym....

unknown on Friday, October 21, 2011 2:28 PM
Well said, Thian

O on Friday, October 21, 2011 12:01 PM
Working out at the gym as compared to at-home workouts is by far the more recommended practice. This is such due to the fact that getting up and taking that drive or that walk to the gym is already preparing your mind for that workout, and at that point of walking in, you are prepared to take on that challenge and hence the adrenaline is already pumping through the veins. The at-home approach, 9 times out of 10 is done so with the "dragging yourself onto that machine" attitude and dying for that timer to get to the 24th minute (which most time we dont get to), so you can go through the 1 minute cooldown process. Sign up for a gym membership people!

O Smith on Friday, October 21, 2011 1:50 PM
One must agree that working out at home is the economical way to go. However, having an expert to guide and assist you if you are really serious about fitness would be the better route to take; especially for those who are into the more specialized fitness routines such as pilates, yoga and tae bo

Qurbani on Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:17 AM
these workouts make human body fit and healthy. the idea you have shared with us is really wonderful thanks for sharing this post.

sponsor a child on Friday, November 16, 2012 8:07 AM
I have encounter with both and it relies on the individual objectives of the individual. If a individual just wants to keep fit, then day-to-day work out at house is ok. However, if the individual wants to look like a hulk, or just to get ripped, then gyming is the most ideal way to go.

Six pack abs for men on Sunday, December 23, 2012 3:44 AM
Fantastic blog! I have enjoyed your write up so much. From this post I am able to know some benefits of gym where from we can get yoga exercise. Thanks for this allocation.

Six pack abs for men on Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:57 AM

Colishon on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:01 AM
I completely agree with what you have to say on this topic. Working out at home is best as compared to going to gyms. It saves money, time plus you don't have any kind of pressure to reach the target. I myself work out at gym. http://www.genericviagra123.com/

" target="_blank" class="userlink">wayne on Monday, June 10, 2013 6:24 AM
Great post. I just located your blog and wished to let you know that I have certainly loved reading your blogs. At any rate I’m going to be subscribing to your feed and I really hope you are writing again soon. Health tips

ray ban online on Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:50 PM
You can definitely see your expertise in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

watches for less on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:19 PM
It is in point of fact a nice and useful piece of info. I am happy that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

ray ban on Sunday, February 01, 2015 10:35 AM
I'm really loving the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?

muscle building program on Thursday, April 02, 2015 4:56 AM
very sweet blog and it content about the fitness very useful information also so it is the right combination of information and printing keep doing that in future also

muscle building program on Thursday, April 02, 2015 4:58 AM
i read lots of blogs but honestly speaking i have found something special here about the gym on your blog very interesting and informatics....

Read More on Monday, April 25, 2016 11:20 PM
Using the gym with membership have many benefits as you can easily access the main resources of the gym.Like special concentration of personal trainer as well as many other features.