Ackee is the main ingredient in the Jamaican national dish. Many Jamaicans eat Ackee at least once a month mostly for breakfast. While ripe Ackee fruit is eaten as and is considered a dietary staple in Jamaica, unripe Ackee fruit is very poisonous. Unripe Ackee is a frequent cause of poisoning in Jamaica and the Caribbean. Poisonings may occur as epidemics when the unripe fruit is eaten during times of food shortage.
Children seem to be especially sensitive to the toxic effects of unripe Ackee. Some sources claim that most Ackee products have been banned from import into the US for the past 30 years because of concerns about poisoning from unripe fruit. The US has just recently begun to allow the import of canned ripe Ackee on a limited basis.
Jamaicans should be very careful when eating Ackee especially when made by someone else, and when in doubt, don’t consume it. If you or a family member gets poisoned by eating Ackee, go to the hospital Immediately
Question: Do you plan on still eating ackee despite the potential health risks?