Jamaica Health Tips Online - Protecting the Environment, Protecting your Health
RSS

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Sleep Paralysis; the spirit in your dreams
Five biggest mistakes we make when trying to lose weight
Hand foot and mouth disease; should you be worried?
Indoor air pollution; the unexpected killer
Nutraceutical; the hidden truth to a perfect health.

Categories

October 2010
September 2010
August 2010

powered by

Jamaica Health Tips Blog

Ackee Health risks

Ackee is the main ingredient in the Jamaican national dish. Many Jamaicans eat Ackee at least once a month mostly for breakfast. While ripe Ackee fruit is eaten as and is considered a dietary staple in Jamaica, unripe Ackee fruit is very poisonous. Unripe Ackee is a frequent cause of poisoning in Jamaica and the Caribbean. Poisonings may occur as epidemics when the unripe fruit is eaten during times of food shortage.

Children seem to be especially sensitive to the toxic effects of unripe Ackee. Some sources claim that most Ackee products have been banned from import into the US for the past 30 years because of concerns about poisoning from unripe fruit. The US has just recently begun to allow the import of canned ripe Ackee on a limited basis.

Jamaicans should be very careful when eating Ackee especially when made by someone else, and when in doubt, don’t consume it. If you or a family member gets poisoned by eating Ackee, go to the hospital Immediately

Question: Do you plan on still eating ackee despite the potential health risks?

42 Comments to Ackee Health risks:

Comments RSS
rearle on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:26 PM
yes!!1 i dnt think i cvan summon the urge to stop eating it..as a matter of act i think couple nights ago the one that i had was in deed a bit tender (tough) :P lol oh well but it jus tastes so good. and am still alive

cheap Evening Dresses uk on Friday, August 23, 2013 8:22 AM
I have figured out some important matters through your site post. One other point I would like to say is that there are numerous games on the market designed specially for preschool age young children. They involve pattern recognition, colors, pets, and models. These usually focus on familiarization as an alternative to memorization. This helps to keep a child engaged without having a sensation like they are learning. Thanks

donique dwyer on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:31 PM
I totally love ackee and dont thing I can stop, with everything you do you just need to be extra careful

Jodi-Ann on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:35 PM
I love it....

Karen on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:36 PM
Even if the ackee is ripe and I eat it, I have severe tommy pain. I love ackee but I can't eat it any at all. Why is that?

OB on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:49 AM
consult a doc , maybe ur just allergic

Dplowright on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:28 PM
Naw stop nyam ackee :)

Richard Reid on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:31 PM
hahaha! just make sure is you cooking it.

Abigail Bacchas on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:43 PM
deborah u wah dead u mek sure as richard seh...a u cook it..nuh eat it from any1 else

Abigail on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:41 PM
mi nuh wah dead suh mi nah nyam it.....

mi lub food on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:44 PM
lol Abigail a coward me Lub food too much fi stop eat it.

R.Russell on Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:22 AM
well said.....i am not dying because of ackee

Bucky on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:48 PM
I love Ackee all we need to do is to be extra careful if we love it so much its best to grow it at home to be sure that we pick it when its ripe its hard to trust people to because the might pic it before it gets ripe

Patrice on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:30 AM
There's no need to stop eating ackee you just have ensure that you don't buy it from the market or othe individials you don't know. If you can't get to pick it yourself or have a family member you trust do it then, don't eat it. I hear the market people are using razor blades to open the ackees

S. Stephenson on Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:59 AM
I totally agree - DATZ RITE!

S Walters on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:47 AM
Thank God mi nuh eat ackee! See i've telling people for ages now, Dont eat the ACKEE!

OB on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:53 AM
a jealous u jealous. u missing out a big part a life, lol

ddixon on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:48 AM
I think that is already the awareness of most Jamiacan. But without Ackee, ackee and saltfish could not be the national dish. Looooooooove mi ackee. All this food talking makes me hungry.LOLOL

Latty on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:49 AM
This will not stop me from eating it because I only have when its prepared at home.

Lushaine on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:49 AM
I care not. We all av to die

dwyer on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:50 AM
I dont think no Jamaican can say that they dont know how to cook ackee since it is our nation dish plus what can be better than that with some roast breadfruit....... so great:)

LLangley on Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:52 AM
Ackee is my native food, we understand not everyone can cook but those of us who know well and kno how to prepare a meal will have the knowledge of cooking Ackee. Plus this is even good with Chichken or even ackee and okra

llangley on Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:14 AM
Know we know how you treat you body. Nuh licky licky

Tashane Grant on Friday, February 18, 2011 2:12 PM
I believe there are potential health risks for any food that is not prepared properly. I love ackee, it is my national dish. I guess the message is to know who is preparing our meals how to perpare our own meals properly.

N. Walters on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:04 AM
Couldn't agree more ackee must not be consume as it is a major health risk.................use to eat until I got POISONED and no I am allergic and stay away from...........Personally it should just be banned.

A. McKnight on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:18 AM
Come on not because you don't like it, it should be banned. Ok guess what lets do a poll and asked everyone what kind of food they don't like, then ban it. OK sounds cool. I know its your personal opinion but please be fair when commenting

A. McKnight on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:10 AM
I heard the stories and i did some research my self, my findings were interesting. It is alleged that it was some kind of chemical that came with the wind and caused the ackees on the tree to open before they are ready.

A. McKnight on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:10 AM

D.White on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:16 AM
I LOVE ACKEE AND I AM NOT GOING TO STOP EATING IT...... I LOVE IT SO MUCH HMM..... SOME PERSONS PICK THE ACKEE FROM THE TREE AND FORCE OPEN IT SO THAT IS WHY I DONT BUY IT FROM THE MARKET I GET IT FRESH OFF THE TREE......

S. Stephenson on Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:56 AM
Personally I dont intend to stop eating ackee, but this is a real heads up - BE EXTRA CAREFUL. So fi all a di nyammy nyammy people dem tek that into consideration.

elastilash on Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:02 AM
I agree, many thanks to the author. Thanks for taking the time to share this,Great blog post. Thanks..

Phenocal on Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:34 AM
I regularly do exercise sut still not loosing my weight. Please help me.

weight gain pills on Monday, October 29, 2012 3:05 AM
Systematic activities to prevent or cure health problems and promote good health in humans are undertaken by health care providers. Applications with regard to animal health are covered by the veterinary sciences. Thanks.

lexia 3 on Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:56 PM
Find Much more Code Readers & Check out Resources Details about next year 2 YEAR Warranty lexia3 pp2000 user interface lexia three citroen peugeot

Replica PiagetPolo Watch on Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:28 PM
Sell Quartz Watch, Mechanical Watches, Electronic Watch. Find replicas of major brands like Rolex, Gucci, Seiko, Burberry; we are the most trustful Replica Online Store.

Nike Yeezy on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:08 PM
Nice job, I really like how your site looks.

social deals on Monday, December 02, 2013 2:11 AM
Thanks for sharing Your experience with us, you want extra information from mediation, visit this site its most helpful to all persons. Try this.
Reply to comment

IndyLancehttp://www.pygmypuff.info/pygmypuffhttp://www.morenab.com/morenabhttp://www.slacklab.org/sl on Friday, March 14, 2014 3:11 PM
I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thank you, I'll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your site?

Electronic Voting System on Friday, May 23, 2014 11:53 AM
I enjoy, lead to I found just what I was having a look for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

Anonymous on Sunday, June 08, 2014 6:35 AM
Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

Loura Chong Reid on Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:32 PM
hey guys, we do appreciate the feedbacks and your positive comments it really do motivate us to continue share these information with you. Thanks again and please continue to visit.